Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinTichovsky
Member II

Versioning properties

Jump to solution

Hello,

i would like to know, if is possible to somehow version changes in properties. Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhinavmishra14
Advanced

Re: Versioning properties

Jump to solution

Its not clear what you mentioned, but i believe you want to increment the version on the nodes whenever there is a property/properties update by any means. 

To do that, add the following in alfresco-global.properties:

version.store.enableAutoVersionOnUpdateProps=true

This property is set to false by default. By default version increments on content updates.

When you try to update the properties now 'after setting the above property to true' on this newly uploaded node, the version will be auto incremented.

If you want that, existing nodes to auto version on properties update, then you would have to write a script to reset the already set "cm:autoVersionOnUpdateProps" property value to "true".

For newly uploaded nodes, you are good to go anyway.

Here is littile bit information about Default behavior:

When you upload a file via share or by any means, cm:versionable aspect is applied on it. It by default sets following properties on the uploaded node:

cm:autoVersion => true - Tells that when the cm:versionable aspect is applied and initial snap shot of the node was taken.

cm:initialVersion => true - Tells that when ever a change is made to the "content of a node" that has the versionable aspect applied a new version will be created.

cm:autoVersionOnUpdateProps => false - Tells that version won't be incremented when properties are updated on a node. 

This is the default configuration at repo level:

version.store.initialVersion=true
version.store.enableAutoVersioning=true
version.store.enableAutoVersionOnUpdateProps=false

~Abhinav
(ACSCE, AWS SAA, Azure Admin)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
sanjaybandhniya
Intermediate

Jump to solution

What you mean by version change in properties?

MartinTichovsky
Member II

Jump to solution

I mean if is change to create new version when i  change document properties (via API or on Share). For now, what i see is, that when content is changed, can be make new version and all properties are stored exactly in the moment, when te content is changed. But i woul like to create a new version when i will change properties via API (something like, when i will declare new version in cm:version, on something like that).

abhinavmishra14
Advanced

Jump to solution

Its not clear what you mentioned, but i believe you want to increment the version on the nodes whenever there is a property/properties update by any means. 

To do that, add the following in alfresco-global.properties:

version.store.enableAutoVersionOnUpdateProps=true

This property is set to false by default. By default version increments on content updates.

When you try to update the properties now 'after setting the above property to true' on this newly uploaded node, the version will be auto incremented.

If you want that, existing nodes to auto version on properties update, then you would have to write a script to reset the already set "cm:autoVersionOnUpdateProps" property value to "true".

For newly uploaded nodes, you are good to go anyway.

Here is littile bit information about Default behavior:

When you upload a file via share or by any means, cm:versionable aspect is applied on it. It by default sets following properties on the uploaded node:

cm:autoVersion => true - Tells that when the cm:versionable aspect is applied and initial snap shot of the node was taken.

cm:initialVersion => true - Tells that when ever a change is made to the "content of a node" that has the versionable aspect applied a new version will be created.

cm:autoVersionOnUpdateProps => false - Tells that version won't be incremented when properties are updated on a node. 

This is the default configuration at repo level:

~Abhinav
udaikumar26
Customer

Jump to solution

Can you please help me with this query.

The default behavior that you have mentioned is not happening in our repo (ACS 6.2.2).

Whenever we create any new content from the create content menu in alfresco share, cm:versionable aspect does not seem to apply automatically. I beileve it only happens when we upload a content rather than create a custom content type. How to enable autoversion for all contents created through the create menu.

abhinavmishra14
Advanced

Jump to solution

Please check if you have manually disabled in any module or via behaviors or via any customization. It is unlikely that default behavior doesn't work.

Here is the latest version of properties which still remains same as discussed above, so should work with 6.2.2 as well:

https://github.com/Alfresco/alfresco-community-repo/blob/master/repository/src/main/resources/alfres...

It would work default whenever a node is created in repository in whatever ways. Its not limited to upload ops. 

If still doesn't work for you then use the provided properties and place it in your alfresco-global.properties file 

~Abhinav
upforsin

Jump to solution

Note:

I was very concerned about huge disk space usage increse if every version would make a copy of a file content. However, as I can see, new version after property update do not copy file content. 

For others, here is Alfresco's UML about Autoversion (I'm posting it here becaouse its quite hard to find).image.png

As you can see, file system is not changed. 

howkymike
Alfresco Developer