cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alessio86
Member II

View Uploaded file

Hi all,
I think this is a noob question but I cannot understand how this work. I have Alfresco Community 5.x running on my Linux server. Let's say that we are going to share some files but next year we would like to stop using Alfresco. Now I have all the files stored as .bin files and all the metadata + other info stored in the database.
Is there a way to "backup" files and store them as .doc or .xls instead of just .bin?
Thanks for the help!

Alessio

5 Replies
krutik_jayswal
Senior Member II

Re: View Uploaded file

There are no ways of storing those as docx or xls.If in near future if you move out from alfresco, you can export those file from alfresco and import in other system by some ways.

You may need some custom script/webservice to export the data.

alessio86
Member II

Thanks for the answer. So it is not possible to convert the .bin file into the original one (.doc, .xls, .pdf, .whatever). I just have to access the data (maybe with the api) and download them "manually" (or scraping them). Did I get what you meant? 

krutik_jayswal
Senior Member II

No its not possible, basically this things are used by alfresco internally and you must not change it.If you try to do that you are going to break most of the stuff I think.Because file system is backbone of alfresco.It better to write some custom script to export files.

alessio86
Member II

Ok so all the things about backup are just to save everything for initializing another Alfresco instance and restore it but not to stop using Alfresco. It seems reasonable. Thanks for your time!

mehe
Senior Member II

...but you can use the "backuped" DB and content store for the job.

You just need the relative path to the documents in the content store (alf_content_url table) and the metadata, i.e. mime types of your documents (don't remember/know the table name by heart).

Then you could "export" your data with a shell script...