What are the constraints on using the community edition of Alfresco Document Management System?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okaboudan
Active Member II

What are the constraints on using the community edition of Alfresco Document Management System?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm looking for something very small for basic (yet neat and reliable) document management.

1- Can I deploy it in my customer's premises ?

2- Are there a maximum number of users (editors/viewers) ?

3- What are the User interface options?

Kindly help me out.

Omar.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
afaust
Master

Re: What are the constraints on using the community edition of Alfresco Document Management System?

Jump to solution

Yes - LDAP / AD synch is an out of the box feature.

Yes - Alfresco Community Edition integrates the Activiti workflow engine which can be deploy and execute custom workflows.

Alfresco Documentation should be your first starting point. Other than that, looking for Alfresco Tutorials by Jeff Potts is a good start into developing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: What are the constraints on using the community edition of Alfresco Document Management System?

Jump to solution

There are no arbitrary constraints when using the Alfresco Community Edition.

Yes, you can deploy it on-premise for customers.

No, there is no limit on users / editors / viewers.

The primary user interface is Alfresco Share and this is part of the product. The Share application can genreally be customised for various document-centric use cases, and also offers collaborative / social functionality.

You can develop custom business applications using the Alfresco Application Development Framework (ADF) based on Angular2, based on reusable components the ADF provides.

okaboudan
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Thank you very much Axel, I had a couple more questions if I may,

- Can The Alfresco Community Edition be configured with an LDAP (MS Active directory) out of the box without having to write code?

- The Alfresco Community Edition has workflow capabilities too, right? (don't need anything too fancy, just 3 users)

- What is a good starting point to learn about 1- configuring Alfresco, 2-developing custom business applications? don't want to waste anymore of your precious time here on basic questions.

afaust
Master

Jump to solution

Yes - LDAP / AD synch is an out of the box feature.

Yes - Alfresco Community Edition integrates the Activiti workflow engine which can be deploy and execute custom workflows.

Alfresco Documentation should be your first starting point. Other than that, looking for Alfresco Tutorials by Jeff Potts is a good start into developing.

okaboudan
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Hello Axel,

I watched this video: Want to know the difference between Alfresco Community and Alfresco One (Enterprise)? - alfresco 

At one slide the presenter is saying the Alfresco CE is for open source OS(operating system), what does that mean ? Is there any know compatibility issues or constraints with windows ?

afaust
Master

Jump to solution

It only means that Alfresco considers open source OSes as the primary environment for running Alfresco Community. This is reflected in testing as well, which will only use these open source OSes when testing Community Edition. You can still run Alfresco Community Edition on commercial OSes as well as long as they conform to the same underlying architectures (e.g. kernel), it is just that Alfresco will only test those for its Enterprise Edition (scope of QA is one of the main differentiators between CE and EE).