cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katiequinn
Member II

What do people use Alfresco for?

Hi,

I am new, so I don't know much about alfresco, so does anyone explain to me what the alfresco application is?

2 Replies
vidhipanchal
Established Member

Re: What do people use Alfresco for?

Hi Katie,

Alfresco is a open source and free content management platform. It is a highly scalable enterprise content management system that helps your business grow through content service. Its easily integrated platform helps you manage your web portal, records, images, and many more. At the core of the Alfresco system is a repository supported by a server that persists content, metadata, associations, and full text indexes. Programming interfaces support multiple languages and protocols upon which developers can create custom applications and solutions. Out-of-the-box applications provide standard solutions such as document management, records management and web content management. Alfresco AMS basically supports Microsoft windows and UNIX-Linux based operating system.

Alfresco CMS can be categorized under three categories:

1. Alfresco Community edition
2. Alfresco Enterprise edition
3. Alfresco Cloud edition

Some features of Alfresco CMS : 

· Audit Process
· Workflow Management -
· Document Sharing
· Content Importing
· Document Customization
· Document Management
· Document Versioning and many more

This link will help you to get more info: 

Thanks,
Vidhi
ContCentric

Regards,
Vidhi
cesarista
Customer

Re: What do people use Alfresco for?

Hi:

Alfresco is an Enterprise Content Management System (ECM), that it is often referred as a Content Services Platform.

On one hand, it is used for many collaboration purposes in organizations via Alfresco Share, allowing to work with document lifecycle from capture, online edition, metadata enrichment and tagging, versioning, sharing, digital signature to archive.

On the other it is a centralized repository for content centric applications of your company, where documents are business critic and play a fundamental role in your processes. The content centric applications may be developed with ADF (Alfresco Development Framework) or using CMIS/REST/Webscript APIs.

Typical uses cases may be Claim Management Systems in Insurance Industry, Record Management in Goverment or City Councils, Medical records in Hospitals, or Contracts/Invoicing Systems for companies in general for example.

In my company, we use Alfresco:
- As Intranet for Employees documentation (paysheets, holidays validation, CV, certifications...).
- As Commercial Repository for Sales People.
- As Collaboration repositories for customers and suppliers.
- As Collaboration repositories for internal / development / research projects.

Kind regards.

--C.