when upgrading from 5.0 to 5.2 and 5.2 to 7.1, how can I migrate Solar index service to other disk.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dba100
Active Member II

when upgrading from 5.0 to 5.2 and 5.2 to 7.1, how can I migrate Solar index service to other disk.

hi,

we will upgrade from 5.0 to 5.2 and 5.2 to 7.1, I think the way to upgrade /migrate is the same, we will do:

1) setup Alfresco on a new VM.

2) once finish point the DB connection to the OLD machine.

3) migration the old content service by coping:

contentstore

contentstore.deleted (optional)

solr6Backup

to other  drive/path and change the path dir.root path in alfresco-global.properties to point to new location.

But what else we can move to other disk to speed up Alfresco ?

how about relocation Solr 4 column from Alfresco 5.0 to to other disk of Alfresco 5.2 ? how to do it and what path in configuration files we have to adjust accordingly ?

7 Replies
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Re: when upgrading from 5.0 to 5.2 and 5.2 to 7.1, how can I migrate Solar index service to other di

Not sure about some points of the question, but 5.0 and 5.2 are using a previous SOLR version, that is not compatible with SOLR working with ACS 7.1.

You'll need to re-index the repository from scratch.

Hyland Developer Evangelist
dba100
Active Member II

Re: when upgrading from 5.0 to 5.2 and 5.2 to 7.1, how can I migrate Solar index service to other di

"You'll need to re-index the repository from scratch."

how ? you mean postgreSQL ?

"but 5.0 and 5.2 are using a previous SOLR version, that is not compatible with SOLR working with ACS 7.1."

you mean 5.0 and 5.2 only use SOLR 4 and no need to upgrade ? 

how about procedure on relocation SOLR 4 to other disk to improve performance?

so only from 5.2 to 7.1 need to upgrade SOLR from 4 to 6 ?

jego
Partner

I got the following answer from support because we want to migrate also from 5.0.2 to 7.0.1/7.1...

In order to minimize downtime, we recommend stopping at 5.2. When you stop at 5.2, You can start the re-index with the search service 1.3 , while the users can use Solr 4 to do the search on the system. Once re-indexing with Solr 6 is completed you can point ACS to use solr 6 and if solr 4 is no longer needed you can remove it. And something like this needs to also happen at 6.2/7.1 with SS 2.0 upgrade.

So the steps are going to be something like below, however please make sure you test this on a non-prod environment.

*before the steps please make sure you are on the latest service pack on 5.0.

1/ Upgrade ACS : 5.0 +solr 4 --> 5.2 +sol4

2/ Upgrade SORL: Solr 4 ---> SS 1.3 (with 5.2) re-indexing will run while users are still using solr 4 for searching

3/ When re-indexing is done point ACS 5.2 to SS 1.3

4/ Upgrade ACS : 5.2+SS 1.3 --> ACS 6.1 + SS 1.3

5/ upgrade SOLR: SS 1.3 --> SS 1.4 ( with ACS 6.1) No indexing required

6/ Upgrade ACS : 6.1+SS 1.4 --> 6.2 +SS 1.4

7/ Upgrade SOLR : SS1.4 --> SS 2.0 -re-indexing required but while the re-indexing is being done the users can still use SS1.4 with ACS 6.2

8/Upgrade ACS 6.2+SS2.0 --> ACS 7.1+ SS 2.0

Please be advised that the above is just provided as a guide and it's important you go through the documentation and test this in your test environment first.

As we are planning a downtime, we will migrate from 5.0 to 5.2 without solr index (only acs data upgrade) and we will reindex from scratch with ASS 2.0 when the upgrade from 5.2 to 7.0/7.1 was successfull.

The instructions above should be used when you want to minimize downtime and always want to have the legacy search service available for users while indexing with a newer version is ongoing.

dba100
Active Member II

Hi,

tks.

So this means that you have already done that? and how is it ?

May I know, if you have already finish the upgrade, any performance difference in Alfresco community 7.1 when compare with 5.0 if we only use the alfresco API ?

"In order to minimize downtime, we recommend stopping at 5.2. When you stop at 5.2, You can start the re-index with the search service 1.3"

but when search service 1.3 is here it is a new, nothing should be there and why need reindex? a lot of thing still on SOLR 4, right?

Re-index with the search service 1.3 is not equal to reindexing PostgreSQL, right ?

How to do it ? please share.

"Once re-indexing with Solr 6 is completed you can point ACS to use solr 6 and if solr 4 is no longer needed you can remove it."

So re-index with the search service 1.3 =  re-indexing with Solr 6 ?

"As we are planning a downtime, we will migrate from 5.0 to 5.2 without solr index (only acs data upgrade) and we will reindex from scratch with ASS 2.0 when the upgrade from 5.2 to 7.0/7.1 was successfull.

I am not sure why you don't upgrade using the plan you shown me ,

every one want minimum down time, right?

So what we should upgrade is:

1) community edition

2) content store 

3) solr

what else?

angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Hope this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHwq_f9PzYU

Hyland Developer Evangelist
dba100
Active Member II

hi,

tks.

you show this before but I want to know in detail from the one who really did it before.

Hope I get the answer very soon.

dba100
Active Member II

hi,

I am sorry to ask, is there any update for me ?