Boundary timer continues its execution even if attached User task is completed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ami

Re: Boundary timer continues its execution even if attached User task is completed

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for reply.

But may I know that Is it chargeable to engage you guys and get a fix to it?

Thanks,

Ami Dave

gdharley
Intermediate

Re: Boundary timer continues its execution even if attached User task is completed

Jump to solution

Hi Ami,

Please email me at the address above to discuss costs for engaging our companies services. I dont think this is the correct forum for such a discussion.

Greg

gdharley
Intermediate

Jump to solution

Hello Ami,

I spent a little (too much) time crawling through the code that manages state transfers between activities.
There is certainly a defect here, but it is very deep in the code and will require some real though to find a good solution.

The problem (in a nutshell) is a result of the fact that you join the flow from the notification (timer boundary event branch) back into the main flow.

This means, as soon as the first timer fires, a new "Concurrent" execution is created.

Concurrent executions are not removed until all flow lines are complete (i.e. in your example until Uster Task 2 is complete and the join is reached).

Because the execution is not deleted, the job's associated with the execution are also never deleted.

As far as I can tell in the few hours I spent yesterday, the execution is destroyed and marked inactive, but never actually deleted until the last concurrent execution completes. At that time, the whole set are deleted.

I have not (yet) tested, but I expect the version 6 engine will likely resolve this behavior as the PVM is no longer used and the mechanism used to track concurrent executions is completely overhauled.

That said, as a work around, have the flow path from the timer go to an end event after it completes it's processing. This way, there will be no concurrent executions and things will behave as you expect.

Hope this helps,

Greg

gdharley
Intermediate

Jump to solution

I have verified this issue is resolved in teh Version 6 engine.

Thanks,
Greg

gdharley
Intermediate

Jump to solution

I hae issued the following pull request to resolve this defect:

Fix for ACT-4263 by gdharley · Pull Request #1133 · Activiti/Activiti · GitHub 

Greg

ami

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

Anyways, I thank you guys from bp3 for your help offered.

But I have solved the issue by myself as of now as per our requirement and we are good to go right now. Otherwise in future version upgrade, hopefully is gonna get solved itself.

Thanks,

Ami Dave

gdharley
Intermediate

Jump to solution

Our pleasure Ami.

It would be great if you let us know how you fixed this, or if you just worked around the problem scenario.

Greg

vin_win
Member II

Jump to solution

Hello Ami, 

We are facing the same issue recently.

We are still using Activiti 5.22.0.

Could you please let us know the work around or Fix that was done ?

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Venod