Define Required Process Variables and Get Information on those before instantiating a ProcessDefinition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksgphellow

Define Required Process Variables and Get Information on those before instantiating a ProcessDefinition

Jump to solution

Hello there,

Is there a possibility in Activiti to define certain Process Variables as Required in a Process Definition and request a list of those required variables from a Process Definition?

The Reason I'm asking is, I want to make some sort of Process Repository for Process selection.

Since my Processes more often than not need different variables or different numbers of variables, I want to show form that dynamically adjusts for how many / which variables are needed to my user.

Is there a functionality like that in Activiti or can someone recommend a solution?

thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daisuke-yoshimo

Re: Define Required Process Variables and Get Information on those before instantiating a ProcessDefinition

Jump to solution

If your goal is only to define a list of variables used in the process in the process, I think that Data objects is optimal.
https://www.activiti.org/userguide/#dataobjects

And, you can get that list by the following code.

List<ValuedDataObject> dataObjects = repositoryService.getBpmnModel("processDefinitionId").getProcessById("processDefinitionKey").getDataObjects();

for(ValuedDataObject dataObject: dataObjects){

System.out.println(dataObject.getId());

System.out.println(dataObject.getName());

System.out.println(dataObject.getType());

}   ad

View solution in original post

18 Replies
ryandawson
Alfresco Employee

Re: Define Required Process Variables and Get Information on those before instantiating a ProcessDefinition

Jump to solution

Sounds like a use-case for start-forms with the forms set to have some required properties - I'd suggest to have a look at Activiti User Guide and see if it's a fit

ksgphellow

Jump to solution

I'd agree with you, but I have, and need to have my own Implementation of forms and not in java, so I cant really use those.

Thanks for the Idea though.

Are there any other possibilities ? 

The main thing I need, is to just define required process variables and prompt them when looking up what process definitions I have in my repository.

Thanks in advance

ryandawson
Alfresco Employee

Jump to solution

Basically you want to store a list of the required process variables against each process definition. If that information will be in your forms then maybe you can find a way to get access to it from java or have the forms and the java get it from a common source. If it won't be in the forms or you can't get it then I guess basically you just need to capture it in a way the java can get it. If you've only a small amount of data then maybe you could put it in a properties file and check against it before you make the call to start a process. If it's more data then maybe a database table. I can't think of an Activiti-native way of doing this - probably because the Activiti way would be Activiti forms (but it's possible there is one and I'm missing it).

ksgphellow

Jump to solution

Okay thanks, 

I'll think of something. 

Shame that Activiti Process Definitions cant be prompted for something like that. Would be a really nice feature.

Thanks again for your help.

daisuke-yoshimo

Jump to solution
ksgphellow

Jump to solution

Those look promising, question is though, can these be prompted? Via the Repositry Service for example? I.e can I look these up somehow? Didnt find anything in the userguide regarding that.

Thanks

ryandawson
Alfresco Employee

Jump to solution

The main reason I don't think it's there is because Activiti/VariableInstance.xml at develop · Activiti/Activiti · GitHub  doesn't feature any 'required' column/attribute. You should be able to find out which are the variables for the process definition in advance of starting it (Activiti/ProcessDefinitionEntityImpl.java at develop · Activiti/Activiti · GitHub ) by querying through repositoryService.createProcessDefinitionQuery. Without the 'required' attribute you won't have everything you want.

A hack might be to use some naming convention to capture which variables are required and which not.

We'd be open to discussing contributions (for which gitter.im/Activiti/Activiti7 is the best place). I can see the value in having that as an information-only field. I doubt we'd want the engine to enforce which variables are required or not as I think we'd want to leave that to the process implementation but we could talk more about that if you like. 

ksgphellow

Jump to solution

Okay, thanks for the Input, both of you. 

I'll try around with what Information you've given me and see if that gets me where I want to be =)

Thanks again for your help.

daisuke-yoshimo

Jump to solution

List<ValuedDataObject> dataObjects = repositoryService.getBpmnModel("processDefinitionId").getProcessById("processDefinitionKey").getDataObjects();

for(ValuedDataObject dataObject: dataObjects){

System.out.println(dataObject.getId());

System.out.println(dataObject.getName());

System.out.println(dataObject.getType());

}