Is it possible to go back from one user task to another user task which is placed in other bpmn file?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
megha_jain2
Member II

Is it possible to go back from one user task to another user task which is placed in other bpmn file?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, if it is possible to go back from one user task to another user task which is placed in other bpmn file from mid or end of the flow? Below is the scenario..

I have 2 bpmn file A.bpmn and B.bmpn.

A.bpmn consists of 3 user task and B.bmpn consists of 2 user task. I want to go back from 2nd or 1st user task of B.bmpn file to the last user task of A.bpmn file, or any mid task of A.bpmn file. Is it possible to do that? If yes, then how?

Note: I do not want to start the whole process of A.bpmn from beginning, but to perform some task either from mid or last.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Megha Jain

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gdharley
Intermediate

Re: Is it possible to go back from one user task to another user task which is placed in other bpmn file?

Jump to solution

Hello Megha,

This sounds like a rework scenario where you exit the sub process early because of an error in or missing business data from a previous step, or, because some of the underlying data (such as say credit score) has changed.

Most of the time you handle cases like this using a process variable populated on exit from the subprocess that will tell you where to re-enter the main process. However, this can get messy if there are a large number of potential re-entry points.
Mitigating this comes down to good process design. Use milestones and called activities to break up phases of the process, after each milestone have a decision gateway determining where to go next.

You may also want to consider compensation events (introduced in 5.21 I believe) to handle data rollback and re-routing.

In short, there are a number of ways of handling what you are trying to do and much depends on the specific scenario.

Greg

View solution in original post

4 Replies
yogeshpj
Established Member

Re: Is it possible to go back from one user task to another user task which is placed in other bpmn file?

Jump to solution

AFAIK, I believe it is not possible with the constraint that you don't want to start the process A from beginning.

What's your scenario, why you want to do this. If you make last task of A.bpmn as call Activity then you may call it from B.bpmn file from any task but again call activity is going to be another process.

gdharley
Intermediate

Jump to solution

Hello Megha,

This sounds like a rework scenario where you exit the sub process early because of an error in or missing business data from a previous step, or, because some of the underlying data (such as say credit score) has changed.

Most of the time you handle cases like this using a process variable populated on exit from the subprocess that will tell you where to re-enter the main process. However, this can get messy if there are a large number of potential re-entry points.
Mitigating this comes down to good process design. Use milestones and called activities to break up phases of the process, after each milestone have a decision gateway determining where to go next.

You may also want to consider compensation events (introduced in 5.21 I believe) to handle data rollback and re-routing.

In short, there are a number of ways of handling what you are trying to do and much depends on the specific scenario.

Greg

megha_jain2
Member II

Jump to solution

Thanks Yogesh!

megha_jain2
Member II

Jump to solution

Thanks Greg!