Is it possible to use boundary timers on a multi-instance parallel task which is part of a subprocess?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paiyyavj13
Established Member II

Is it possible to use boundary timers on a multi-instance parallel task which is part of a subprocess?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using APS 1.6.4.

I am trying to achieve mail alerts on penultimate and last day of task being due.

I have a boundary timer event on the task and trigger it once on penultimate day and use another timer to trigger it on the last day of the task being due.

It works fine for the scenario when the task is a single-instance type.

I have a scenario wherein, a task is part of a subprocess which is- multi-instance type parallel.

My implementation fails in this scenario. If the parallel call is for 5 times then the boundary event should be triggerred equal number of times(i.e. 5 times)- but it happens 3 or 4 times leaving one or two triggers. Logs do not show any error.

Does boundary timer trigger have any limitations on multi-instance tasks?

Appreciate any help... Thank you...

Regards.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cjose
Senior Member II

Re: Is it possible to use boundary timers on a multi-instance parallel task which is part of a subprocess?

Jump to solution

yeah, it is better not to merge them. let each of them have its own end event. You can remove the inclusive gateway merge as well to keep the diagram simple. The process will complete only after the user task has been completed.

Ciju

View solution in original post

6 Replies
cjose
Senior Member II

Re: Is it possible to use boundary timers on a multi-instance parallel task which is part of a subprocess?

Jump to solution

do you have the boundary event on the task inside the subprocess or on the subprocess itself? It should work if the boundary event on the task. Can you share a bpmn model with this issue?

Ciju

paiyyavj13
Established Member II

Jump to solution

Hi Ciju,

Thank you for replying-

I have attached the subprocess along with the subprocess diagram- I set the penultimate day and ultimate day as a String of format ISO 8601(works for single instance calls).

I think as per your comments it should work for multi-instance calls too- Let me re-test it.

Meanwhile- Please do have a look at the subprocess timers and let me know if technically it looks good.

If you need some additional info then please do let me know... Good day...

Regards.

cjose
Senior Member II

Jump to solution

Not sure if I understood your sub-process. Why are you merging all three paths into the gateway considering the fact that the timers are non-interrupting (cancelActivity="false")?

paiyyavj13
Established Member II

Jump to solution

Hi Ciju,

Apologies for a delayed response...

I was merging the paths into a gateway since I was triggering one of the service tasks a day before due and the other service task post due date and completing the task via API- hence I assumed all the tasks would be complete post due date and they could merge.

Should I remove the merge node and use end nodes instead?

I would proceed as per your suggestion... Thank you...

Regards.

cjose
Senior Member II

Jump to solution

yeah, it is better not to merge them. let each of them have its own end event. You can remove the inclusive gateway merge as well to keep the diagram simple. The process will complete only after the user task has been completed.

Ciju

paiyyavj13
Established Member II

Jump to solution

Thank you Ciju... will implement the changes you mentioned....

Good day...

Regards.