cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fconrady
Member II

Notification of exceptions in UI app

Hi,

me and my group have been using Activiti 5.18 in combination with a third-party UI application that makes REST calls to Activiti. It would be easier for us if workflow engine and UI were part of a single library / framework. For this reason I am comparing the latest versions of Activiti, Flowable and Camunda, trying to see what they offer in terms of UI capabilities.

I found that in Camunda's Cockpit I get notified of exceptions as shown in the screenshot below. The origin of the exception is indicated graphically, I can see the stack trace and I can very easily click to the subprocess where the exception was thrown.

I did not see this functionality in Activiti's web apps. Can you confirm if Activiti has something like this or not? I want to make sure that I am not missing features that are actually there. (I vaguely remember something about Activiti Explorer showing red rectangles around active tasks, but I am not sure.)

Thanks

Florian

3 Replies
ryandawson
Alfresco Employee

Re: Notification of exceptions in UI app

I wouldn't personally say that the activiti explorer or the v6 community UI are part of a continuous framework. I think of them more as providing illustrations of what can be done with the engine (Alfresco also provides ADF as a framework for developing UIs that use the engine and the content repository). The enterprise product (alfresco process services) is a BPM suite so that is more comprehensive. But I don't think you'll find this particular feature presently in any of the UIs. The runtime diagrams do show current progress through a process instance so you know where an instance has got to and if it has failed then presumably it won't be moving further forward. But I can't think of anywhere where error logging is presented in a shared view with a runtime diagram.

rallegre
Alfresco Employee

The other place where you can get the list of failed jobs is within the Administration Console (activiti-admin). Using the Admin console, you can list jobs, filter them by Process instance ID, Tenant Identifier, exception. When you select a job, you can see the stack trace and re execute job delete it. Here is what the UI looks like when you select a job with an exception from the list (with Alfresco Process Services 1.6).

Regards,

fconrady
Member II

Thanks for pointing this out! I will check it out.

Florian