What Activiti's state when process arrive Tasks, Gateway, Boundaries?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nhhao1996
Active Member II

What Activiti's state when process arrive Tasks, Gateway, Boundaries?

I'm researching about Activiti. I've read User Guide and known that the process only stop when it arrived User Task, Timer Boundary. Moreover, I read the book Activiti in Action, it say the Activiti Engine is a state machine. So I want to know that when process arrive tasks, gateway, boundaries, what's it state? Does it pause or stop or something?

3 Replies
pault
Active Member II

Re: What Activiti's state when process arrive Tasks, Gateway, Boundaries?

Not an expert view, but based on my expereince of V5 and V6 at its simplest I'd describe it as follows.

Activiti Process Engines are only active when called via the API using the services they provide, e.g. to start a process instance, complete a task etc. At that point they perform whatever logic is required, call service tasks, make state transitions etc. They then persist the process state in the database, current activity, process variables etc. and are then inactive until the next API call.

Hope that helps.

nhhao1996
Active Member II

Thanks for your rep.

I understood your explaination. But I still don't know that when the process is started, how it will work when it arrive to service task, script task, gateway... Does it stop to do logic and continue automatically?

pault
Active Member II

Take a look at the Transactions & Concurrency section of the User Guide (section 8.7) that explains a bit more detail for both synchronous execution and asynchronous execution, when for example a task executes in a sperate thread / transaction.