Cannot transform Microsoft Office Documents to PDF.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
onlaed
Member II

Cannot transform Microsoft Office Documents to PDF.

We are trying to demo this feature to a customer.  They want all the documents in a certain space to be converted to PDF.  When i try to transform MS Word or MS Powerpoint to pdf we get the following error.  Any Ideas?

Please correct the errors below then click Finish.

* Failed to run Action due to error: Content conversion failed: reader: ContentAccessor[ contentUrl=store://2006/3/12/7/c4292d3e-b1c4-11da-ad35-eb023c19254b.bin, mimetype=application/vnd.powerpoint, size=1729024, encoding=UTF-8] writer: ContentAccessor[ contentUrl=store://2006/3/12/8/c7ec83f7-b1c9-11da-ad35-eb023c19254b.bin, mimetype=application/pdf, size=0, encoding=UTF-8] options: {}

Here is the stack strace:

08:15:07,046 ERROR [org.alfresco.web.ui.common.Utils] Failed to run Action due to error: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at org.alfresco.service.namespace.QName.resolveToQName(QName.java:400)
   at org.alfresco.web.bean.repository.Repository.resolveToQName(Repository.java:611)
   at org.alfresco.web.bean.wizard.BaseActionWizard.buildActionParams(BaseActionWizard.java:144)
   at org.alfresco.web.bean.wizard.NewActionWizard.finish(NewActionWizard.java:68)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
   at org.apache.myfaces.el.MethodBindingImpl.invoke(MethodBindingImpl.java:129)
   at org.apache.myfaces.application.ActionListenerImpl.processAction(ActionListenerImpl.java:63)
   at javax.faces.component.UICommand.broadcast(UICommand.java:106)
   at javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot._broadcastForPhase(UIViewRoot.java:90)
   at javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.processApplication(UIViewRoot.java:164)
   at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.invokeApplication(LifecycleImpl.java:316)
   at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.execute(LifecycleImpl.java:86)
   at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:106)
   at org.alfresco.web.app.servlet.AlfrescoFacesServlet.service(AlfrescoFacesServlet.java:49)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
   at org.alfresco.web.app.servlet.AuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AuthenticationFilter.java:73)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
   at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
   at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor.process(Http11AprProcessor.java:831)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11AprProtocol.java:639)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$Worker.run(AprEndpoint.java:1203)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
11:43:41,031 WARN  [org.alfresco.web.bean.repository.Repository] Metadata extraction failed:
   reader: ContentAccessor[ contentUrl=store://F:\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\temp\Alfresco\alfresco2845.upload, mimetype=application/pdf, size=3446051, encoding=UTF-8]
   extracter: org.alfresco.repo.content.metadata.PdfBoxMetadataExtracter@1e2db64
11:44:27,937 ERROR [org.alfresco.repo.content.transform.AbstractContentTransformer] Content writer not closed by transformer:
   writer: ContentAccessor[ contentUrl=store://2006/3/11/11/4dec2e8e-b11e-11da-ad35-eb023c19254b.bin, mimetype=text/plain, size=0, encoding=UTF-8]
   transformer: PdfBoxContentTransformer[ average=445ms]
11:44:54,187 INFO  [org.alfresco.web.data.IDataContainer] Unable to get return type class for RichList column: notes. Suggest set java type directly in sort component tag.
11:44:54,187 WARN  [org.alfresco.web.data.IDataContainer] Unsupported sort data type: class java.lang.Object defaulting to .toString()
11:45:26,031 WARN  [org.alfresco.web.bean.repository.Repository] Metadata extraction failed:
   reader: ContentAccessor[ contentUrl=store://F:\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\temp\Alfresco\alfresco2848.upload, mimetype=application/pdf, size=4384492, encoding=UTF-8]
   extracter: org.alfresco.repo.content.metadata.PdfBoxMetadataExtracter@1e2db64
11:45:58,765 ERROR [org.alfresco.repo.content.transform.AbstractContentTransformer] Content writer not closed by transformer:
   writer: ContentAccessor[ contentUrl=store://2006/3/11/11/84011744-b11e-11da-ad35-eb023c19254b.bin, mimetype=text/plain, size=0, encoding=UTF-8]
   transformer: PdfBoxContentTransformer[ average=607ms]
11 Replies
csbrown
Member II

Re: Cannot transform Microsoft Office Documents to PDF.

I get a similar error when converting text documents to PDF.  Is this supported out of the box or is there some special work that needs to be done?

Thanks,
steve
Member II

Hi,

Do you have OpenOffice running on the server?

Steve
csbrown
Member II

Yes, I do.

This is the error message:

Please correct the errors below then click Finish.

* A system error happened during the operation: Transaction didn't commit: Content conversion failed: reader: ContentAccessor[ contentUrl=store://2006/3/14/7/dd1f0854-b368-11da-b037-57d8347b4512.bin, mimetype=text/plain, size=220, encoding=UTF-8] writer: ContentAccessor[ contentUrl=store://2006/3/14/7/dd3e0206-b368-11da-b037-57d8347b4512.bin, mimetype=application/pdf, size=0, encoding=UTF-8] options: {}
onlaed
Member II

Yes i do have open office installed on the server.  I am trying to pitch this to a few customers but converting to office files PDF is core. 

Senario:
    The file is drop into a folder via fax, e-mail, ftp or drag & drop etc…
    The app then detects the file save the file to a folder in alfresco then
    deletes the file from the clients desktop.
    Alfresco the convert the ( tiff or office) file to PDF
    This document is then auto classified accoreding to it's meta data and
    contents.
    The file is then approved and move to it's final destination or send back
    to other user to correct/modify.

I am getting alot of looks but i need the convert to pdf to work.
onlaed
Member II

I have found a temporary solution to the problem.  If you open openoffice writer then minimize it.  When i di this, the tranformations works like a charm.
jamen
Active Member II

Hi guys,

I seem to be going through the same problem as you.  What version of Open Office are you running.  I just downloaded 2.0.2 and installed it and can't get the transformations to work in alfresco.   Has anyone isolated the problem and can provide a solution?

Another interesting thing is that I can't seem to start Open Office's Writer program AFTER I have started the standalone Tomcat (with Alfresco).  I think  the special command that the start_oo.bat file which launches soffice.bin is stopping the programs startup.  Is anyone else seeing this happen on Windows XP?

Jamen
jamen
Active Member II

Hi Guys,

I uninstalled OpenOffice 2.0.2 and went to 2.0.0.  I am now able to do transformations now.  There is still one element of uncertainty which someone might want to further investigate and post their findings on here.  This is to isolate whether its an issue with the version of OpenOffice not allowing proper transformations or something else like I am describing below.

My initial installation of OpenOffice (2.0.2) was including JRE (approx 104 meg).  My second installation (2.0.0) was without the JRE (approx 74 meg).  Perhaps it is the JRE that is part of the package that may be inhibiting the transformation functionality.
choon
Member II

Hi Jamen,

had the same problem. After reading your post I downgraded fom OpenOffice 2.0.2 to 2.0.1. Now it works fine. Both OO versions on my system did not include the JRE package.

Cheers,
Dan

now running alfresco 1.2 and OO 2.0.1 on Win2003 Server
tiofelix
Member II

Hi,

I downloaded OpenOffice.org 2.0.0 rc3 and transformations don`t work, someone know which version should i download?

Thanks.