Just a couple of things I've noticed whilst playing around with the web client. This is version PR5 by the way…
1 - The radio button/link "space picker" I know this isn't your favourite control :wink: and may be being replaced, but in the meantime it would be useful to alter it's behaviour so that the very last (deepest) item wasn't hyperlinked. Either that, or there's a small bug where clicking OK whilst at the deepest level doesn't select the correct item. I saw this whilst creating a "Copy content in a give format…" rule.
2 - Set focus to first input box i.e. the same way Google sets focus to the search box on page load. Maybe it should be to the first mandatory field?
3 - Automatically insert full name When creating content using the HTML editor, the "Author" field should be pre-populated with the full name of the currently logged-on user.
4 - Disable clipboard paste when not in folder view I can see potential confusion for people trying to use the clipboard function when in a view other than the folder view, e.g. creating a new space, editing an HTML page, etc. The paste function works (by copying the content to the current space), but isn't intuitive in the context of the current foreground task.
edit: 5 - Uploading content requires Upload and Next When uploading content to Alfresco, it's necessary to Browse for the file, click Upload and then click Next. The message "Content .. has been uploaded" is somewhat ambiguous, as it hasn't actually been uploaded yet. It gives the user the impression that multiple file uploads are possible from this screen.
6 - Conversion rules "lock" the browser I guess this might be a limitation of Tomcat, but ideally the document conversion process using Open Office should take place in a background process and not lock the web browser, as conversion can be quite time-consuming.
7 - Copy URL to item into clipboard It would be handy to be able to store the direct download URL to multiple content items, either in the clipboard, or a scratchpad area. This would make creating HTML index pages easier, rather than having to have two Alfresco browser windows open (which I guess isn't very recommended anyway?).
Thanks Mike for your comments. I'm not the UI expert but I can respond to point 6.
We're just in the process of developing support for asynchronous actions. This means that rules can be setup and run in the background without locking the user interface. This covers all actions including transformation via Office. Also, we'll support multiple actions and compensating actions. This will allow for actions to be invoked on success or failure of the background process e.g. send e-mail.
Thanks for the comments. We are aware of most of the issues you raise, I'll comment on each one individually:
1. Yes the Space Selector needs work! We'll be getting to that before the October release timeframe.
2. Definitely agree - it's something I'd like to find a elegant solution for on every page.
3. Yes that would be a good idea.
4. Also agree.
5. Unfortuntely this is a limitation of the mix between the JSF technology and the JSR-168 portal environment we also support. It leads to a tricky situation when you need to mix servlets and ordinary HTML forms with the JSF world. So for now that will stay like this.
6. Dave has already commented on this.
7. Yes I think we will make the clipboard items live - as currently the node is just shown as text and icon which are not clickable - but it would only be a very small change to make the links point to the download location for the item.
Archive: Alfresco Content Services / ECM
Archive content from 2016 and relating to earlier versions of Alfresco Content Services, Community and Alfresco One.