Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
viraf
Member II

Importing directories

Hi,

Is there an easy way to import a directory (and its subdirectories) into Alfresco.
7 Replies
kevinr
Active Member II

Re: Importing directories

CIFS or FTP access to the repository is the most efficient way (FTP being the best).

If you have previously exported the directory from Alfresco then re-importing the dump file will re-create the directory etc.

Thanks,

Kevin
kevinr
Active Member II

…we were also thinking about some functionality that would allow you to Upload a ZIP/TAR file into Alfresco where the server would automatically expand the file and recreate its contents and structure as folders and files in the repository. However once FTP and CIFS were added as features, this idea dropped down the priority list, but it's certainly something that's possible and someone out there could add the feature if it was considered useful…

Cheers,

Kev
viraf
Member II

Ok - sorry, I think I used the term "import" incorrectly. 

I have a directory on the file system in which I have documents that I share with my team.  I would like to move this directory, its subdirectories and any content into Alfresco.  Instead of using the GUI to "Add Content" for each document and create a space for each subdirectory, is there a way to quickly add this directory and subdirectories to Alfresco ?

Thanks.
kevinr
Active Member II

I understood your question, CIFS or FTP access to the repository is the most efficient way (FTP being the best).

To use FTP, simply point your normal FTP client (using port 21) to your alfresco server (e.g. localhost) and login using your username/password as you would as normal when logging in to Alfresco.

To use CIFS, either click the "Open Network Folder" link (or icon for V1.0) to open the CIFS folder for the current directory from the web-client.

Hope this help,

Kevin
viraf
Member II

Thanks.  The CFIS worked like a charm on Windows. 
Is this functionality available on Linux ?
gary_spencer
Member II

Hi,

The Alfresco CIFS server works on Windows, linux, Solaris, Mac OS X. On the Unix type platforms the CIFS server uses Java socket based code whereas on Windows it defaults to using JNI code so that it can co-exist with the existing Windows file server.

To connect a linux client you can mount a share using the smbfs filesystem :-

mount -t smbfs -o username=…,password=… //srvname/Alfresco /mnt/alfresco

Cheers

Gary
gary_spencer
Member II

…forgot to mention that there is more information on configuring the file server on the wiki here :-

http://www.alfresco.org/mediawiki/index.php/File_Server_Configuration

Cheers

Gary