So I could not exclude Alfresco's freemarker custom jar. So I can't upgrade my code. Since my front end is not complicated at all, it realy just formats some JSON that I get from my controllers (Using your mvc code) I simply switched to Velocity.
I tried to get a Velocity view resolver working, but I could not get that to work. Because of time constraints, (this project is for work) and I was pushing a deadline... I made a superclass for all my controllers that basically had one method, renderTemplate() I simply used the singleton setup for the velocity engine, rendered the template and sent back the html.