cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ejike
Active Member II

Difficulty in installing and deploying Alfresco using Docker Compose

Good day All,

I do not know whether it is just me but I would like to express my frustration and disappointment in installing and deploying Alfresco using Docker compose. 

it is now more than ever very difficult and frustrating to install and deploy using Docker compose, unlike the older versions which was easy to install and deploy. This made it a major selling point to clients.

I have tried setting up using the Alfresco Docker-compose documentation and the documentation in this link: https://github.com/alfresco/alfresco-docker-installer

Once I am done installing and deplying I CANNOT FIND alf_data or alf-repo-data based on any of the documentation stated above. I am installing and deploying on windows and I have combed all the Youtube channels and cannot seem to find any one that explains the installation and deployment in full depth and how to navigate to alf_data incase you want to do a backup.

When I use this command: 

docker-compose up --build --force-recreate -d

It takes forever for http://localhost:8080/share/page/ to come up.

I hope this is looked into.

All the best

Ejike

7 Replies
ttoine
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Difficulty in installing and deploying Alfresco using Docker Compose

Hello,

Could you please provide more information about the versions of ACS you are deploying? (at least, the version that works as you expect, and the version that is not working as expected, and enventual other useful information)

ejike
Active Member II

Good day ttoine,

Thanks for the response, below is a breakdown as requested.

I am currently using Alfresco 5.2d for my clients on Windows Server (this is key to pay attention to), which works as expected. I can carry out the following activities:

1. Easy installation and deployment
  2. Process for Cold backup is straight forward because it is easy and straight forward to find alf_data and postgresql database using PGAdmin.
  3. Process for carrying out updates from legacy versions to Alfresco 5.2d is straight forward because it easy to find alf_data and database and move the files to Alfresco 5.2d for backup and restoration purpose.
  4. Can Alfresco 5.2d be deployed to the cloud and work effectively?

I just currently installed and deployed Alfresco 7.4 using Docker-Compose on Windows server (this is key to pay attention to) which was not so straight forward and challenging.  The challenges I am facing with Alfresco 7.4 using Docker-compose are:

1. How do we carry out Cold backup activities on Windows Platform, especially navigating to alf_data and database as it was done in Alfresco 5.2d community version. Are there any youtube videos or tutorials for this, that is easy to explain and straight forward.
  2. How do update Alfresco 5.2d community version to Alfresco 7.4 community version on Windows platform esepcially navigating to alf_data and database for backup and restoration. Are there any youtube videos or tutorials for this, that is straight forward?
  3. Can Alfresco 7.4 community edition be deployed to the cloud and is it configured to be deployed and used in the cloud?

I look forward to hearing from you and I am glad we have a community manager here.

Regards,

Ejike

ejike
Active Member II

@ttoine I am yet to get a response to my reply to your question on the above topic.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Ejike

openpj

It sounds strange to me that you had issues using the Alfresco Docker Installer, could you please describe your issues?

Anyway below some comments related to your questions:

1. How do we carry out Cold backup activities on Windows Platform, especially navigating to alf_data and database as it was done in Alfresco 5.2d community version. Are there any youtube videos or tutorials for this, that is easy to explain and straight forward.

You can follow exactly the same method used for Alfresco 5.2.d the unique difference is that probably in your new installation based on 7.4 the storage (db, indexes and contentstore) is stored inside a Docker Volume. So for a cold backup you can just execute a docker compose down and then you can copy your docker volumes related to the Alfresco storage and that's it.

2. How do update Alfresco 5.2d community version to Alfresco 7.4 community version on Windows platform esepcially navigating to alf_data and database for backup and restoration. Are there any youtube videos or tutorials for this, that is straight forward?

Unfortunately there is no supported upgrade path for Community edition, I mean that it is not tested. Anyway I suggest you to deploy for each step of your upgrade path all the Community versions between 5.2.d and 7.4 and at the end deploy 7.4. In this way you should have something more reliable in terms of patching the storage:

https://docs.alfresco.com/content-services/community/upgrade/#upgrade-process

3. Can Alfresco 7.4 community edition be deployed to the cloud and is it configured to be deployed and used in the cloud?

Sure, Alfresco is strongly based on a set of services that can be deployed in any cloud service.

Hope this helps Smiley Wink

ejike
Active Member II

Hi @openpj @ttoine 

Thanks for your response. I would please like to know where do I find the Docker Volume, that is the main issue.

Like I said, I am using a Windows server terminal with Ubuntu. Below is an image of the terminal:

windows_terminal_docker_compose.jpg

Is my Docker Volume inside the docker-compose.yml?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and BR,

Ejike

ttoine
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's basic Docker skills, did you read the doc, depending of your operating system?

fedorow
Senior Member II

@ejikespend some time to learn docker and docker compose technology. It is powerful and advenced solution to deploy application. You will like it.