I'm running Alfresco 5.2.0, SDK 3.0.1 (all in one) locally on my machine. Unfortunately build and page loading takes too much time. What is the best way to improve it? Even if I gave 8GB to Tomcat and JVM it doesn't help.
One way to speed up development is to not execute the clean install goals (after one first initial run), and only use the alfresco:run goal. If you've added hotswap agent, most files will reload anyways so there's no need for a full build. From time to time a clean install does help keep your project clean.
Unless your custom code has massive memory requirements, -Xms2G -Xmx2G works just fine in most development cases. (Also having max and starting memory the same size means the JVM doesn't need to make any decisions, which is more efficiënt) Actually telling the JVM to take all your system memory might actually cause things to go slower.
Hi Tom, thank you for your answer. I set xms and xmx values as you suggested, but I would not say that it made any influence on the speed, it is not faster nor slower. I thought that if I gave more memory it will help, but unfortunately it doesn't. My system memory is 32GB. Therefore I gave 8-10GB to JVM. When I click on document library response time is cca 15 seconds and for showing search results it takes cca 35 seconds.
I also tried with alfresco:run goal and it makes build time twice as fast. (Y)
I have this deployed locally as well on a Windows 2012 server and I am trying to speed up the entire system. I have about 18,000 pdf files in my repository and while it does respond and even works on my mobile device. It is definitely not running an acceptable performance.
Any tips on how your got yours running faster would be great, if you kept going.