What would you want from a new Document Library?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddraper
Intermediate II

Re: What would you want from a new Document Library?

The requirement to allow users to customize the columns they see in views is actually more of a data issue than a UI issue. Implementing a solution to allow users to define their own views is actually very simple (and something that Aikau for example was specifically designed to be able to address).

However, the issue is where and how to store the data - for example...

• should the view be specific to the user or should the view be specific to the content
  • should views be shared (where do you store shared views, who has control over the shared view, what happens if a user wants to customize a view owned by another user)
  • if views are specific to content (which would make sense as different sites might contain different content) then are views inherited from parent to child?
  • how does any of this scale?

Filtering is also something that is quite straight-forward too... it's effectively what the live search does and I actually think that filtering should be a capability that we add to all our new V1 REST APIs. Taking advantage of filtering in views is pretty straight forward and I agree that it is definitely something that should be part of a document library.

cristinamr
Advanced

Hi Dave,

Suggestion here! Share UI (includes Doc Library) can be responsive. This suggestion can save a lot of valuable time in many cases :-)

Cheers,

Cris.

--
VenziaIT: helping companies since 2005! Our ECM products: AQuA & Seidoc
cesarista
Customer

Hi Dave:

In my case, I would like custom content-type wizards for creating content. In the way of the old Alfresco Explorer wizards (I still remember them!) or something similar to Upload-plus addon functionality:

GitHub - softwareloop/uploader-plus: An Alfresco uploader that prompts for metadata 

Regards.

--C.

ivanovpavel1983

Hello. It would be good if Document Library could display and work with objects without content (inherited from the sys:base)

cseickel
Customer

I wish that there was a view that used a full featured grid control, rather than a simple html table.  Something like this:

Ext JS Kitchen Sink 

At the same time, it would be nice if you can add and remove columns in a similar way to the search manager screen for faceted search.

cseickel
Customer

Another nice feature would be an admin GUI to edit the display of an item in the Detailed View.  Something like the forms designer in the new Model Manager, where you can drag and drop widgets and simple properties.  The templates would be defined by content types.