The official documentation is at: http://docs.alfresco.com
In some cases, your server is already running Apache Tomcat, and you want to install Alfresco along with other applications.
Here are the steps you need to go through to deploy to a shared Tomcat environment:
- Copy the alfresco.war file to tomcat/webapps
- Copy the contents of the <Alfresco_Root>/tomcat/shared/classes/alfresco folder to the equivalent location on your shared tomcat server.
- Edit tomcat/shared/classes/alfresco/extension/custom-repository.properties and customize the dir.root property to point to where you want your Alfresco server to store its content. Also edit any relevant database properties including uncommenting the correct JDBC driver string
- Edit tomcat/shared/classes/alfresco/extension/custom-hibernate-dialect.properties to reflect your preferred database.
- Edit your tomcat startup script to modify the heap allocation to at least 1024 MB and a MaxPermSize of 128 MB.
export JAVA_OPTS='-Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -server '
- Either create a policy file in tomcat/conf/policy.d or disable the tomcat security manager by editing /etc/default/tomcat.
Refer also to Install Tomcat6