Installing Alfresco Community 2.9B on Centos 5.1

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Alfresco Community 2.9B on Centos 5.1

0 0 1,638

Obsolete Pages{{Obsolete}}

The official documentation is at:


A Few Important Words

So I got version 2.1 installed and running and wanted to run the latest GA release 2.9B, so here is how I did it.


PLEASE feel free to edit or expand on what is written here.

Here we go

Start with a new clean install of Centos 5.1, and make sure it's updated with yum.
I used i386 for this install.

This version doesn't use MySQL it uses the default database which is Hypersonic DB that comes with the AC-2.9B Tomcat version.
I might get to how to change this, maybe someone else will.
There is README.txt in the AC-2.9B release that explains it.

yum -y update

[root@localhost alfresco]# yum -y install wget java libxslt wget

Get All Software Needed for Install

become root

[root@localhost ~]# cd /opt

[root@localhost opt]# mkdir alfresco

[root@localhost opt]# cd alfresco

[root@localhost opt]# wget \ \

Install JDK 1.6.06

First we need to go to Sun and get the Java files:


The above link now has 6u7, as a work-around in order to prevent dependency errors with the previously wgetted rpm
('Failed dependencies: jdk = 2000:1.6.0_06-fcs is needed...') get 6u6 JDK file (jdk-6u6-linux-i586-rpm.bin) here:

Select 'Download' for:

 JDK 6 Update 6

Select from the Platform drop down list:


Select 'Agree' if you decide too:


Select 'Continue'

Download this file:


 NOTE: (Trying David's suggestion, will remove this when verified -- will doubtless work!! Thanks David!)

As of July 8, 2008, the only file that was available is jdk-6u7-linux-i586-rpm.bin
which loaded fine BUT is incompatible with the java-1.6.0-sun-compat-
I get the following errors:

# rpm -Uvh ~root/alfresco/java-1.6.0-sun-compat-
warning: /root/alfresco/java-1.6.0-sun-compat- Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID c431416d
error: Failed dependencies:
      jdk = 2000:1.6.0_06-fcs is needed by java-1.6.0-sun-compat-
[root@s1s0102 opt]# alternatives --config java

There is 1 program that provides 'java'.

   Selection    Command
*+ 1           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java

I was unable to find a java-1.6.0-sun-compat-, and am not
an rpm wizard (can we just 'lie' to rpm and move on??)

Now what?? TIA! --ldl

[root@localhost alfresco]# chmod +x jdk-6u6-linux-i586-rpm.bin

[root@localhost alfresco]# ./jdk-6u6-linux-i586-rpm.bin

You will have to agree to a few things, but it self installs.

[root@localhost alfresco]# rpm –Uvh java-1.6.0-sun-compat-

To make sure your system is configured to use this latest version of Java by default, run the command:

[root@localhost alfresco]# alternatives --config java

you should see:

There are 2 programs which provide 'java'.

   Selection    Command

    1           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java
*+ 2           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java

If number 2 has the *+ next to it, you should be fine. There is no need to do anything - just hit enter. If, for some reason, 1 is selected, then type 2 and enter.

As a final Java configuration test, you can run:

[root@localhost alfresco]# rpm -qa | grep java

Check to see that java-1.6.0-sun-compat- is listed

[root@localhost alfresco]#rpm -qa | grep java

Unpack Alfresco Community Tomcat tarball

[root@localhost alfresco]# tar -xzf alfresco-community-tomcat-2.9.0B.tar.gz

Add Java_Home to Alfresco

Edit file:


Add the line:  export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_06/

So it now looks like this for the first few lines:

[root@alfresco alfresco]# cat
# Start or stop Alfresco server
# Set the following to where Tomcat is installed
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_06/

Start Alfresco

[root@localhost alfresco]# ./ start

You should now be able to see the Alfresco start page by navigating to:


Login: admin
Pass:  admin

To stop alfresco its:  (don't do it now)

[root@localhost alfresco]# ./ stop

Firewall Settings

In the Centos 5 GUI, you need to change the firewall settings to open TCP port 8080

You can also do this by editing iptables from the command line, but using the GUI seemed to work better for some reason.

You may need to restart the system -- I was doing some troubleshooting post-install, and everything worked fine after the restart. Correlation is not causation, and you shouldn't have to restart the machine, but if the install isn't working, you might want to try it.