The official documentation is at: http://docs.alfresco.com
If you came from the Installing Alfresco on Ubuntu 7.10 page you will find that the instructions there are also applicable for 8.04. This page describes running Open Office and setting up environment variables on Ubuntu 8.04.
Starting Open Office 2.3 and above
In the init script section look for the start_openoffice function and replace it with the following. OO no longer needs xvfb to run.
sudo -H -u alfresco /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice '-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp;StarOffice.ServiceManager' -nologo -headless -nofirststartwizard &
The documentation I found mentioned that you need to install the 'headless RPM' for this to work. On my system it worked without any additional apt-gets.
If you are getting errors that say javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment within the alfresco log files, try the following if you are running as the root user:
apt-get install openoffice.org-java-common
or if you are running as a normal user with sudo permissions:
sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-java-common
See also: http://forums.alfresco.com/fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1810
If you have issues with a missing Java home, you should create a setenv.sh in the /opt/alfresco/tomcat/bin folder with export of the JAVA_HOME there.
I found I was getting java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space errors in the logs and the bootstrap process repeatedly failed. This turned out to be because the JAVA_OPTS environment variable was being exported in the /etc/init.d/alfresco script and was not being seen when starting the JVM. I added this to /opt/alfresco/tomcat/bin/setenv.sh as follows:
export JAVA_OPTS='-Xms128m -Xmx512m -server -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/lib/alfresco/tmp'
It might also be a benefit to add the following lines to the start of the /opt/alfresco/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh script (it seemed to clear up the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError messages for me):
export JAVA_OPTS='-Xms128m -Xmx512m'
# (Just before the line specified below):
# OS specific support. $var _must_ be set to either true or false.