There have been many enhancements and fixes added with the release of 1.4, providing new functionality and greater configurability.
Key new features include:
Upgrading from V1.3.x
It is very important to read the upgrade steps if you already have Alfresco installed. You should also ensure you have a full backup of your data (see upgrade details).
- Business Process Management
- Open Document Format support
- Supports transformations between Microsoft Office and ODF documents
- Including between Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpont and OpenOffice equivalents
- Performance and scalability improvements
- Schema improvements for high-volumes
- Including high load environments and scalability for many nodes per parent
- Including support for multi-value properties, checkout/checkin services, security services, logging, document and image transformation services and template rendering services.
- My Alfresco dashboard
- Virtual Custom Desktop Executables
- Allows virtual executable files (.exe) to be actioned through CIFS-mounted drives
- Drag and drop actions
- Build your own virtual executables: Desktop Actions
- URL Addressable actions
- Email Team members
- Rule enhancements (affects ACPs created in earlier releases, see Notes)
- PHP Library enhancements
- Outlook email format meta-data extractor
- User Options page
- Including change password
- Improved indexer performance
- The improved indexer is now the default in 1.4
- Old indexes will be upgraded when found (there is an alternative configuration to keep the old indexes if required)
- AJAX infrastructure added
- Dialog Framework enhancements
- Actions can now be configured to appear in dialog header
- Additional buttons can now be added via configuration or dynamically
- The OK button can be hidden
- The title and description for a dialog (and wizard) can now be generated dynamically by the bean
- Component Generator/Property Sheet enhancements
- The size of a text field can now be configured
- A configurable TextAreaGenerator has been added
- Year ranges can now be configured via DatePickerGenerator and DateTimePickerGenerator
- Separators can now be added to property sheets via SeparatorGenerator, LabelSeparatorGenerator or HtmlSeparatorGenerator
- Many other fixes - please see JIRA!
- IMPORTANT: There are changes to the ACP format where rules have been used. To use an ACP file created from an earlier Alfresco release, you need to use the conversion utility installed with Alfresco in the 'extras' folder.
- There are changes to the database schema
Community Release Candidate
- OpenOffice connection logs disconnection, but automatically reconnects
- Using a person selector causes error when no users other than Admin.
- Client search results are limited to prevent excessive resources being used on individual queries. The defaults are set low.
OpenOffice 2.0.2 has a bug that means it cannot be used at all for document transformation. There are also issues with converting certain documents to PDF in OpenOffice 2.0.1. We therefore recommend OpenOffice 2.0.3 should be used.