The official documentation is at: http://docs.alfresco.com
SharePoint Protocol has been implemented by Alfresco starting with Labs 3a release. It allows Microsoft Office Suite Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) to interact with Alfresco as if it was SharePoint. The Alfresco Sharepoint extension is also known as the VTI module.
The official documentation for configuring the connection with SharePoint is here.
Here is a page discussing other integration approaches.
Getting Protocol Working when not connected to network
When Alfresco server is started, the SharePoint protocol support should be automatically enabled.
- Go to Windows\System32\drivers\etc and edit the host file
- Find you ip address
- Add an entry for ip address in the host file
- Go to IE and type http://servername:8080/alfresco
- Add this page as a trusted site (you will need to uncheck the use https option at the bottom)
- Go into Word and choose open
- In the box at the bottom type http://servername:7070/alfresco
That should prompt you for a login. Once logged in, you can browser Alfresco. See if this helps.
PS. If you aren't connected to a network, type using a self signed ip address.
When attempting to create a Shared Workspace an error maybe encountered suggesting the site be added to your list of Trusted Sites. To do this follow the steps below:
- Launch Internet Explorer
- Go to Tools -> Internet Options
- Select the Security tab
- Select 'Trusted Sites'
- Click the Sites button
- Enter the host being connected to i.e. http://192.168.1.45 (NOTE: You may need to uncheck the 'Require server verification' option if you are not connecting via HTTPS)
- Close all dialogs and quit Internet Explorer
Space Appears At The End Of URL
When attempting to create a Shared Workspace the URL is pre-populated if a previous attempt has been made. Sometimes an extra space is added onto the end of the URL which results in an error, remove the space and attempt creation again.
Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 Issues
- Change or create the Registry key: 'HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters\BasicAuthLevel' (REG_DWORD) and set its value to 2.
- Office clients on Windows 7 ask for credentials twice for the File->Open and File->Save dialogs if you don't check 'Remember my credentials'.
- If an Office client asks for credentials for each operation, it may be related to the domain policy and client settings. Refer to the following two articles:
- Windows 7 Prompting for Authentication When Accessing SharePoint Documents:
- You are prompted to enter your credentials when you access an FQDN site from a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows 7 and has no proxy configured:
Problems with Online Editing
There is a known issue with Office 2003 and 2007 Office documents opening as read-only in Internet Explorer for all versions before Vista SP1. Please refer to the knowledge base article 870853 on the Microsoft website to enable the Online Editing functionality. For more details read the 'SharePoint protocol and Office 2007 under Windows Vista' pdf document.